Our Catering Staff
It is very important for all young people to eat a healthy, balanced diet and Kirklees Catering Service takes this responsibility very seriously. Here are some facts about our service and the meals we offer in school:
• Every menu is tailored to the school after consulting with our customers (you, your children and their teachers).
• We cater for vegetarian diets and can only cater for special diets with medical advice from a dietitian and a current care plan.
• We hold themed events, linked to what’s happening in and out of school, which make lunchtime educational and fun.
• Primary schools have regular visits from our mascot, Munch the friendly dragon, who promotes healthy foods and educates children about healthy eating and lifestyles.
• Schools serve a nutritious and tasty two-course meal, daily prepared on site.
• Our service holds the Food for Life bronze catering mark (working towards the silver) which means menus include a minimum of 75% fresh food, free range eggs, high welfare meat and sustainable fish.
• You can have a look online at what your child’s school menu offers at: Kirklees School Meals
• Research has shown that children concentrate much better if they have eaten a healthy, balanced meal at lunchtime, which can support your child’s learning in school.
• All menus are nutritionally analysed to ensure they meet, and often exceed, Government standards.
• Depending on your circumstances, your child may be eligible for free school meals.
The 2-week Summer menu, which will run until October half-term:
The new 2-week Winter menu, which will run from 4 November:
Sugar Smart Days
As an addition to our already very healthy and delicious meals, we have our ‘sugar smart days’ – a Kirklees Catering Services initiative where we serve sugar-smart options – Week 1 is on a Thursday and Week 2 is on a Wednesday.