Our Catering Staff
It is very important for all young people to eat a healthy, balanced diet and Kirklees Catering Service takes this responsibility very seriously. Here are some facts about our service and the meals we offer in school:
• Every menu is tailored to the school after consulting with our customers (you, your children and their teachers)
• We cater for Vegetarian and can only cater for special diets with medical advice from a dietitian and a current care plan.
• We hold themed events, linked to what’s happening in and out of school, which make lunchtime educational and fun.
• Primary schools have regular visits from our mascot, Munch the friendly dragon, who promotes healthy foods and educates children about healthy eating and lifestyles.
• Schools serve a nutritious and tasty two course meal, daily prepared on site.
• Our service holds the Food for Life bronze catering mark (working towards the silver) which means menus include a minimum of 75% fresh food, free range eggs, high welfare meat and sustainable fish.
• You can have a look online at what your child’s school menu offers at: Kirklees School Meals
• Research has shown that children concentrate much better if they have eaten a healthy, balanced meal at lunchtime, which can support your child’s learning in school.
• All menus are nutritionally analysed to ensure they meet, and often exceed Government standards.
• Depending on your circumstances your child may be eligible for free school meals.
Sugar Smart Friday
‘As an addition to our already very healthy and delicious meals, we have our ‘sugar smart Friday’ – a Kirklees Catering Services initiative where every Friday we will be serving sugar-smart options’.